45% of Welsh SMEs don't have Basic Digital Skills
The recently published Lloyds 'UK Business & Charity Digital Index 2018' has found that only 55% of Small and Medium businesses have Basic Digital Skills. Though this is a 22% increase from 2015 - driven by 60% of SMEs now using social media channels - it's still 3% behind the UK average. Interestingly, over a third of Welsh SMEs don't currently have a website.
What are Basic Digital Skills?
These include tasks such as:
- Digitally communicate to maintain customer and supplier relationships
- Manage your invoices and accounts digitally
- Provide accessible information, and offer FAQ service
- Search and discover growth opportunities for your business
- Search for information on new suppliers and find the best deals
- Understand who uses your website (analytics)
How does Wales compare to the rest of the UK?
Across digital activities Wales is 5% below the UK average. Though in line for Communicating and Digital Development, for Transacting and Online Enquiries the index makes stark reading with Wales 11% behind and Mobile Banking not much better, at 9% behind the UK average.
When you look at the UK averages for online presence, Wales lags behind:
- 28% of SMEs say being online isn’t relevant for their business (UK average 26%)
- 37% have no website (UK average 32%)
- 82% are investing nothing to build digital skills (UK average 74%)
Why do Digital Skills matter?
"UK businesses that improve the digital skills of all their employees will become more productive, innovative, profitable and secure" (The Telegraph, 2015)
How can Team 8 Digital help my business?
As a small Welsh business itself, we at Team 8 understand many of the issues SMEs encounter and have experience of overcoming them both for ourselves, and through the support we provide to our clients. The services we offer include:
- Website design and development, including a great deal of e-commerce work such as Aquatic Diagnostics, Celtic and Welsh Jewellery & Pyramid Time Systems
- Social Media support
- Training on how to make the most of your website e.g. Google Analytics
- Software design and development
Want to know more?
Why not check out some of the below: